Our partnership with Connectr is a unique, pioneering programme which helps to deliver on our commitment – bringing STEM to life and boosting the career prospects of thousands of children in South London. The programme provides a series of in-person workshops, seminars, and Q&A sessions for local students, delivered by volunteers from National Grid and project partners working on LPT.
Launched in 2020, we have made an ambitious commitment to reach 100,000 children by 2025, investing a total of £1.8m to ensure the programme drives maximum impact.
And it’s not just about going to schools to deliver this work. We encourage visits to our sites by students, so they can see first hand the amazing work that’s being completed deep underground as we rewire London. We’ve even hosted several students on work placements, giving them practical and valuable experience – opening the possibility of a future in the industry, helping to deliver net zero.
This has been delivered through a variety of in-person and digital activities, including:
- In-person workshops for Years 9, 11 & 12
- Virtual Q&A sessions for Years 9-13
- Online events across key dates including National Apprenticeship Week and Engineering Week for Years 9-13
- Assembly takeovers
- Resource packs for educators to deliver classroom workshops
- Virtual Work Experience Week for Years 11, 12 & 13
- Digital mentoring support