Corporate political engagement
National Grid is committed to maintaining a high standard of corporate political engagement worldwide.
We do this by assessing and making our policies, procedures and practice visible, with reference to Transparency International Guidance
Our commitment is underscored by the development of this webpage, which will enable everyone to see in one place how we live up to our aspirations. Further details across the four key Transparency International areas of focus [Control environment, Political contributions, Responsible lobbying and Revolving Door] are included below.
If you have any questions about our corporate political engagement, please send us an email.
We recognise that the control environment sets the tone for a company. This includes the integrity, ethical values and competence of employees, the philosophy and leadership style of management, the assignment of authority and responsibility for global political activities.
We have clear guiding principles underpinning our political activities, an integrated management approach and Board accountability and oversight. We can demonstrate that we manage activities on a group wide basis and have management approval, monitoring and compliance processes in place to underpin this.
In this section we include:
- Our guiding principles underpinning political activities
- A public statement on political activities
- A statement on our associated monitoring, management approval and assurance of political activity
- Our Code of Ethical Business Conduct [with particular reference to pages 24 – 25]
- Our Stakeholder BMS Standard
- Anti Fraud and Bribery Practices Policy
- Our Doing the Right Thing Guidance
- The Audit Committee Terms of Reference - This body oversees our compliance on ethics and business conduct which includes lobbying. The internal audit and compliance teams monitor and reports to the Audit Committee, which in turn reports to the Board
National Grid has a clear policy of prohibiting political contributions; including by another entity on our behalf. The full policy is attached below.
National Grid is committed to lobbying responsibly. We are open and transparent about global lobbying activities and provide further details below
- Our policy on responsible lobbying
- Policy for managing the company's membership of organisations that engage in lobbying (and ensuring consistency of lobbyists with company policy.)
- How we consult stakeholders about our political lobbying activities
- Aims and overview of our Political lobbying
- Report on contracted services of serving Politicians to the company
- Register of organisations we are a member of that lobby on behalf of the company.
- Our policy on the movement of directors and employees between positions in public/ private sector - this includes our guidance on “cooling off” for staff joining from the private sector
- Register of Staff on Secondment to or from Public Bodies