Issues such as carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal but many people are not aware of the warning signs, particularly older people, who may put flu-like symptoms or simply feeling drowsy down to old age.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Shortness of breath
If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds or you suspect a leak:
- Stop using all appliances, switch them off, and open doors and windows to ventilate the property
- Evacuate the property immediately; stay calm and avoid raising your heart rate
- Call the Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999 to report the incident, or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363
- Don't go back into the property; wait for advice from the emergency services
- Seek immediate medical help; you may not realise you've been affected by the carbon monoxide and going outside into fresh air won't treat any exposure by itself
Find out more about carbon monoxide poisoning on the NHS Choices website.