Below you'll find answers to the questions we get asked the most. If you have a question that you can't find the answer to, please use the contact us page.

Who do I contact if I smell gas or suspect a carbon monoxide leak?

If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak or you can smell gas, leave the house or area and immediately call the National Gas emergency number on 0800 111 999.

Wherever you may be, there are some essential actions you need to do if you suspect a gas leak:

  • Open doors and windows to ventilate the property

  • If you are able, leave the property and wait outside until a gas engineer arrives  do not re-enter the property unless instructed to do so

  • Phone the National Gas Emergencies number on 0800 111 999

  • Extinguish all naked flames

  • Don’t smoke or strike matches

  • Don’t turn on or off any electrical switches or any other electrical switches which could cause a spark

  • If you are feeling unwell, please visit your GP or hospital immediately and explain the situation

Find out more information about carbon monoxide poisoning on the NHS website.

Frequently Asked Questions

I have a general enquiry regarding my gas meter – who should I contact?

Please contact your gas supplier in the first instance. However, if they cannot help, then please call our Customer Service Centre on 0800 001 4340.

I don’t know who my gas supplier is?

You can find your gas supplier via the 'Find My Supplier' website, using the link below: 

Alternatively, you can contact the Meter Point Administration helpline on 0870 608 1524.

Can I get gas without a gas supplier?

No. To use gas, you must by law, have a contract in place with a gas supplier as it’s illegal to use gas without such a contract.

Is it ok to purchase my own gas meter from a third party?

Yes it is, but the Gas Act 1995 requires every consumer of gas to take their supply through a meter that has been approved for billing purposes. Consequently, while it's not an illegal act to purchase a gas meter, careful consideration should be given to the intended use of the meter.

For example, your gas meter is used to calculate the amount of gas used to enable the gas supplier to bill you. Any interference with a meter to prevent it from recording accurately or to attempt to manipulate the quantity of gas consumed in any way, are criminal offences.

Who owns the gas?

The ownership of gas changes as it moves through the network. In simple terms, gas which is delivered to your property is owned by your gas supplier.

How do I arrange a new gas connection to my property?

New connections are dependent on your property's location. You can request a new gas connection via your gas supplier or by contacting your local Gas Transporter.

How can I permanently remove the gas connection and meter from my property?

The removal of your gas meter can be arranged through your existing gas supplier. Once the meter has been removed, the permanent removal of a gas supply from your property can be arranged by contacting your local Gas Transporter.

How can I move my gas meter to another location within my property?

If the new location of the meter is greater than 1 meter from its existing location, or is on an external wall, then you will need to contact your local Gas Transporter.

The meter box at my property is broken and needs repair or replacement. Who can do this for me?

The meter box is the responsibility of the property owner, therefore any spares or replacements need to be sourced and paid for by them. Meter boxes can be purchased through the local Gas Transporter or from builder’s merchants and specialist hardware suppliers.

Who do I contact if I wish to use National Grid Metering to provide Meter Asset Management (MAM) services?

Please send your enquiry to: [email protected]

How is my data managed?

Where National Grid Metering (NGM) act as 'Data Controller', please refer to the Privacy Policy link at the footer of this page.  There will be some circumstances in which NGM will act as a 'Data Processor' on behalf of Gas Suppliers. For more information on how your data is collected by your Gas Supplier please visit their website.

What do I do if I have a complaint?

Providing a consistent and excellent customer service is vitally important to us and at the heart of everything we do. If you are unhappy with any part of our services, then we want to know about it and do our best to put things right. You can contact us via:

Telephone: 0800 001 4340

Email: [email protected]

Address: Metering Complaints, 35 Homer Road, Solihull, B91 3QJ

When and why might National Grid Metering contact me?

We, National Grid Metering, will only ever contact you to confirm and/or agree metering related appointments, in or around your property. We will never ask for, or request, any personal information unnecessary for metering activity. Therefore please be aware of Scam-Callers who may pretend to be National Grid Metering and will ask for bank details or other personal information 

Should you believe that your call is not genuine, then please contact us on our Freephone number 0800 001 4340

How can I report nuisance calls and messages?

The ‘Information Commissioners Office’ (ICO), the UK’s independent authority set up to up hold information rights in the public interest, provides useful guides on how to identify and report any nuisance calls or messages that you may be concerned about.  Attached below is a link to the ICO, in support of this area:


Additional information about our Policy Meter Exchange (PME) programme

Why do you need to exchange my meter?

As part of our maintenance programme, your gas meter has been identified that it is due to be replaced in line with our asset policy.

Who will be completing  the exchange at my property?

National Grid Metering has a number of  trusted service partners that work on our behalf.  All our trusted service partners are fully qualified and carry photo identification. 

How  can I check the identification of the engineer?

A contact identification  telephone number is located on the back of their  card alternatively  please  contact us on 0800 001 4340.

Are you fitting a smart meter?

No, the new meter will not be smart enabled,  it will have the same functionality as your current meter.

Why do you need access to my property?

Access is required to allow our engineers to carry out checks on your internal appliances.

Do I need to do anything in preparation?

No, our engineer just requires access to your property with  enough space to be able to safely work on the meter.

How do I amend my PME appointment?

You are able to change your appointment date and time by calling 0800 001 4340 or emailing [email protected]

General advice about your gas meter and moving property

  • When you move out of a property, note the meter reading and inform your supplier of the reading and that you moved out on a specific date. 

  • When you move into a new property, write down the meter reading and contact whoever you wish to supply your gas. Explain you have just moved into this property, on this given date, provide the meter reading and explain that you would like them to supply your gas; the gas supplier will do the rest. Contact the present gas supplier (if different) and National Grid that they are the new supplier to this address and gas meter with the Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN).

  • They will ask for the MPRN, which can be found on the gas meter.

  • If you phone a gas supplier and they are not the present gas supplier for that property they should advise you to call the MRN number telephone number 0870 608 1524, which will provide people with a MRN and or the present gas supplier. *This call will cost 7 per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.

  • If you move into a property and have NOT been billed for your gas usage, the gas supplier will charge any back dated charges to the present occupier unless you can prove when you moved into the property, or they may try to find the previous occupier. Hence the importance of taking the meter reading and informing the gas supplier you are moving out or have just moved in. (The ownership of gas changes as it moves through the network. In simple terms, gas which is delivered to your property is owned by your gas supplier.)