New Essential Infrastructure
Walham to Cilfynydd
We’ll shortly be refurbishing the overhead power lines between Walham and Cilfynydd, view our interactive map.
Our job is to maintain the overhead power lines so the electricity network is kept in good working order. This ensures that everyone has the power they need on demand and that safety standards are upheld.
We’re investing in the maintenance of equipment which is due for refurbishment. Our work will include replacing the steel components on some of the pylons and repainting some of the towers along the line.
Unfortunately, we’ll need to close some sections of road for a short time so that we can safely access power lines. Our map above shows the road closures in more detail. Please click on the closure routes for dates. We’ll keep residents up-to-date on the progress of the work and any dates that the local road network is due to be affected.
You can sign up to be alerted to any works affecting the roads in your area via roadworks.org
There will be three stages to our project:
Stage One: Preparation work – May 2017 to March 2018
- Survey and exploratory work at the base of pylons;
- Construction of temporary access gates, stone pathways and erection of scaffolds;
- Safe removal of bird nests when wildlife is not present and vegetation clearance for access to the pylons.
Stage Two: Refurbishment begins – March 2018
- Work will begin on sections of the 75km line. Engineers will replace wire and equipment, inspect pylon foundations, replace damaged or worn steel-work and paint the structures, where needed.
- Partial replacement of two towers.
Stage Three: Project end – February 2019
- Once all the work is complete, any fencing and scaffolding will be removed and we’ll leave any areas affected by our work clean and tidy. Tree re-planting will be carried out as part of the reinstatement of the working areas.
To keep up-to-date with the latest information about the project, please sign up to our monthly newsletter.