Customer Satisfaction and Complaints

How to contact us if you have a complaint

" We treat all complaints seriously and confidentially. Your complaint will be handled in a courteous, prompt and straightforward manner. "

(Please also see 'Our complaints process' for more information on making a complaint.)

If there is a problem with the service you have received from National Grid, then please contact us in writing, by e-mail or by telephone.

It will be helpful, when contacting us, if you can provide any information relating to your case (such as reference numbers) so that we can deal with your complaint more quickly. 

What we will do

Your complaint will be fully investigated and a full response will be provided within ten working days of us receiving your complaint. 

If we can't investigate your complaint fully within this time we will give you details of when you can expect a response and we will keep you informed of our progress. If we need to take action to put things right we will try to do this quickly.

If we don't meet our Guaranteed Standards of Service when we provide you with a service we will pay you compensation. You can read more about this below.

If we decide we need to visit you to respond to your complaint or enquiry, we will get in touch with you to arrange an appointment.

Independent review

Consumer Direct

We realise that you may not always be happy with the way we deal with your complaint. If you are not happy you can get in touch with Consumer Direct, an independent consuler organisation.

They will be able to tell you what your rights are and what you can do to settle your complaint. They will expect you to use our complaints procedure first though.

You can contact them in the following ways:

  • By calling their consumer helplines: 08451 040506 (Typetalk for consumers with hearing difficulties: 08451 281384)
  • Via their website:

The Energy Ombudsman

If we have taken longer than eight weeks to deal with your complaint, or we have written to tell you that we aren't able to resolve it, you can contact the Energy Ombudsman. They will study your complaint, make a final decision and let you know what they have decided.

The Ombudsman is not able to help you unless you have gone through our complaints procedure first. By law, we have to accept the decision of the ombudsman.

You can contact the Ombudsman service in the following ways:

Standards of service

" We use the information gathered from complaints to identify failures in the service we provide in order to make improvements.  "

We have to meet a number of standards to do with our service. These are set by the Government. They include restoring your gas supply after an unplanned interruption and returning your home and premises to the condition we found them in, after any work we carry out.

If we don't meet these standards, you may be able to claim compensation. In these cases we will pay compensation to youo direct or through your gas supplier. You can find a summary of these standards in the table on the next page.

Read more about our Standards of Service on this site or phone us on 08450 700203 for a copy of our booklet.

What to do if you smell gas

Code of Practice